‘Gross failure’ in Kayden Urmston-Bancroft death



Image caption

Kayden was 20 months old when he died

There was “gross failure” in the care of a toddler who died while awaiting emergency surgery, a coroner has said.

Serious and basic failings led to an “unacceptable delay” in Kayden Urmston-Bancroft’s operation on a diaphragmatic hernia, an inquest heard.

Coroner Angharad Davies concluded the 20-month-old ‘s death of natural causes was “contributed to by neglect”.

The former medical director of Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital offered “profound apologies” to his family.

‘Unacceptable delay’

Kayden, from Stockport, suffered a cardiac arrest at the hospital on 15 April, three days after being admitted. He died two days later.

The four-day inquest at Manchester town hall heard Kayden’s death could have been prevented were it not for failings in his care.

Ms Davies identified missed opportunities to perform the surgery and said there were “a number of serious and basic failings which meant Kayden was not operated on that week”.

The “unacceptable delay” in his surgery was “sufficiently serious to amount to a gross failure”, she said.

Surgeon ‘apologised for toddler’s death’

Op delay toddler ‘could have survived’

Clinging to happy memories of Kayden

Kayden was transferred from Stepping Hill Hospital and placed on an emergency surgery list, the inquest heard.

His notes said there was no bed available in the children’s hospital’s high dependency unit (HDU), so he could not have the operation.

Mother Shannon Bancroft was “very upset” at the delay, but her son’s consultant said he remained well, the notes said.

Image copyright
PA/Family Handout

Image caption

Kayden’s mum Shannon Bancroft was left devastated by his death

A report showed a bed was not requested until midday on 15 April, but records showed three had been available on that day.

The inquest heard consultant Mohamed Shoukry thought the bed for Kayden had been taken by another emergency.

Ms Davies said it was “inexplicable” as to why he was under the impression there was no HDU bed available, saying there was a “basic, fundamental communication problem”.

She also told the court there had been “confusion” over who the consultant with responsibility for Kayden’s care had been.

During the inquest, hospital boss Sir Michael Deegan said it was likely Kayden would have survived but for failings in his care.

In a letter read out at Wednesday’s hearing, he apologised unreservedly for the “unacceptable lapse of standards”.

‘Watched him fade away’

After the inquest concluded, Kayden’s family said “knowing that he could have been saved is hard to bear”.

“You take your child to hospital and you think everything will be alright, that they’ll be able to make them better,” they said.

“We put Kayden’s life in their hands and they let us down in the worst way possible.

“We begged them to help him over and over, but instead we had to watch him fade away.

“He died in pain and that’s the thing I don’t think we can ever forgive”.

Image copyright

Image caption

Coroner Angharad Davies found the hospital made a “number of serious and basic failings”

After the inquest, Prof Bob Pearson – former medical director of the hospital’s trust – offered “profound apologies” to Kayden’s family outside court.

He said the trust launched a “rigorous and wide-ranging” investigation after the death and measures in place “to make sure this does not happen again”.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here